Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Getting ready to weld first joints

I made some good progress tonight. I cut the seat tube of the Raleigh piece and made a fish-mouth joint to be welded to the top tube. This is a major pain using only a hacksaw and files, but I think it turned out pretty well.

From Recumbent Bike Project


I ended up having to cut off about 2mm from the downtube to make this fishmouth joint fit up tight with the top tube. Must have cut too much off of seat tube. Whoops!

In this series of pics you can see the pieces for the first two assemblies. Gold pieces are from the Raleigh bike, black piece is from the Nishiki, and the shiny silver piece is the famous sleeve I made last night from the Murray junker in my neighbor's trash pile.

From Recumbent Bike Project


From Recumbent Bike Project


From Recumbent Bike Project


From Recumbent Bike Project


From Recumbent Bike Project


From Recumbent Bike Project


Everything fits great, I think the bike is coming along well. Tomorrow I'll take off the paint, then I have to find a time to get into the metal shop to do the welding. I'm stoked!

No comments:

Post a Comment