Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hacking 'em up

I finished disassembling bike #2 and found the parts all to be in great condition. I'll be using the brakes, fork, crankset, etc from this bike on the recumbent.

The next step was of course to start hacking the frames up with my new hacksaw. This was fun. I even got my 9-yr-old son to help me and he was very pleased with this. I cut some of the pieces too long on purpose so I can cut them to size more evenly in the metal shop later with their professional-grade power tools. Here's the Raleigh after making all of the cuts:

From Recumbent Bike Project

Weird thing about the Raleigh is that all tubes are same diameter. This is potential problem for fitting of pieces, but I found that I can reverse the position of one of the pieces from other donor bike (which has the normal different sizes in top tube and seat tube) and it'll sleeve together nicely for the top tube. Here's what the mock assembly looks like before any bending or welding

From Recumbent Bike Project

On account of the smallish size of both donor bikes, I've run short of tubing. Just lack enough tube to make sleeve for downtube connection. Poking around I've found a source for my sleeve tube, though.

From Recumbent Bike Project

Problem is I have to cut it in dead of night and never tell the kids. It's My daughter's first bike, with 12" wheels, which she's outgrown. I got it for $2.99 at Goodwill a long time ago. The lower downtube will fit like a glove, so it's mine! Mwahahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment