Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hacking together a seat support

Andrew Carson has a nice design for a seat support, but it requires more welding and piecing together and I thought I'd try to make one out of actual bike pieces I have lying around. I think it's promising.

It starts with a crappy Huffy frame like this (I had two of 'em salvaged from the ditch and a junk pile):

From Recumbent Bike Project


I cut off the seat stays and a bit of the seat tube, plus the dropouts. That's a seat post stuck through the 2" of seat tube there.

From Recumbent Bike Project


Next I cut off the bottom part of the dropouts. I just need the parts with the little round holes.

From Recumbent Bike Project


Then I spread the seat stays a bit so it'll fit around the recumbent frame, flip it upside down, and install with two little bottle-holder bolts into the holes of the recumbent seat stays. I also put a seat clamp on there.

From Recumbent Bike Project


I need something to attach it to and I remembered this old part from a broken comfy seat from my cruiser bike.

From Recumbent Bike Project


I move the seat clamp onto the rails of this thing...

From Recumbent Bike Project


Remove the springs...

From Recumbent Bike Project


Slide the seat clamp onto the seat post like so...

From Recumbent Bike Project


and zip-tie one of the seat frame supports to the thing to show how it could attach. In the finished support I will braze on half of a split tube and use hose clamps to secure it to the seat support the same way Andrew Carson does at the top of his seat stay design.

From Recumbent Bike Project


From Recumbent Bike Project


I'll let you know how it works out after I get into the metal shop again for more welding. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment