Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Welding of first joints, bending seat frame

Last Saturday I had professional help from Andy Loewy (Industrial Design professor), who welded the joints for 1st and 2nd assemblies for me.

From Recumbent Bike Project


I came up with a way to jig the 2 assemblies together with some metal stock in the shop. This held it together nice and straight.

From Recumbent Bike Project


We also bent the rear triangle's seat stays over a big pipe.

From Recumbent Bike Project


From Recumbent Bike Project


Here's what the first two assemblies look like all welded together

From Recumbent Bike Project


After that I kinda stuck the pieces together to see what it would look like in the end. Looking pretty good...

From Recumbent Bike Project


I tried a 27" wheel in the bent triangle and found it'll work great. Brake pads strike the rim perfectly. I'm really glad about this b/c it would be a pain to put new brake bosses on.

From Recumbent Bike Project


Then today I bent the side pieces for the seat frame. They turned out pretty well I think. Hope it's a comfy seat.

From Recumbent Bike Project


Next we'll weld the rear triangle on there, then the bottom rails. After that it's the seat and seat stays. Fun!

1 comment: